Slow Cooker Pork Tacos


So I don't usually cook with pork. I should cook with it more since it's cheaper than beef. I made this recipe for Joshy's 2nd birthday party. It went really well because he loves tacos, it was easy to throw a taco bar together and it was delicious.

I received many
compliments on the pork tacos at the party. It went over really well. I thought it would have been too spicy for some people because of the chili powder, but in fact --- the people that aren't fans of spicy thought it was just right and those that love spicy enjoyed the tenderness.

It is great amount of pork, to be served at a party. I'd say it could feed 12 people depending on the size of the pork shoulder you use.

The original recipe can be found here.  It calls for a 3.5 to 4 pound pork shoulder. I had to go to 2 different grocery stores and the only one that had a pork shoulder had a 6.5 pound pork shoulder (bone-in). So I took a chance --- and happy I did. 


Slow Cooker Pork Tacos
  • 1 - 5 to 7 pound pork shoulder (bone included)
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 - 16 oz jar of favorite salsa (I used mild picante sauce, I always grab the wrong jar - I meant to grab salsa)
  • taco shells, tostadas, lettuce - however you want to eat them
Generously spray the crock pot with cooking spray. Rinse the pork shoulder by running it under cold water. Do not remove the fat. Put it in the crock pot.

Mix the seasonings in a small bowl. Massage the seasoning into the pork.

Cover the pork with the entire jar of Salsa. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. Once it starts falling apart (ours was ready at 7.5 hours), remove the fat and start to shredded it by 2 forks or by hand. I put it back into the crockpot on Warm for the length of the party. Serve with tacos and sides!

If you have leftovers, simply place them in an air tight freezer bag.




Popular Posts