Blackened Salmon with Avocado Salsa

 

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted.  I do apologize, sometimes I get unmotivated. Unfortunately this year, I've also been busy working through a new medical diagnosis for myself....and now my first baby is going off to Kindergarten.  How does that happen?

So the time is flyin' by, and before you know it - it's almost a year since my last post.  Now I've told many people, that I'm done posting....but I guess the urge comes and goes! :)

Tonight, I made a delicious recipe that I wanted to add to the blog and share with all of you....... it was devine.  Plus it's week night friendly.  Will take about 20 minutes total.

It's also low carb, high fat and protein diet friendly.
So not to go on (another) tangent but I've been Pinteresting and Googling as much as I can to find the Chili's Ancho Chile Salmon copy cat....and sans the sauce, I found it.  Score!

Lessons learned:  Temperature of stove - is important and patience is key - don't look until timer is up.  Although I was disappointed to find the skin on the bottom of the salmon, I learned that it easily peels off after it's pan fried and before you eat the meat.  Also, be generous with the blackening spice and for more kick...add ancho chile pepper seasoning :)

All parents want to know...did my kids like it?  Caleb tried but didn't like it.  Josh tried it and said "yum!" but he was already full with hot dogs (yes I fed the kids hot dogs!).

Recipe Adapted from :  Closet Cooking

Avocado Salsa:

  • 2 Avocados, chopped
  • 1 small jalapeno, minced
  • 1/4 cup of red onion, diced
  • 2 Tablespoons of lime juice
  • 2 Tablespoons of cilantro
  • 2 pinches of salt (or 4 circles on the grinder)


Salmon:

  • 2 lbs of Salmon
  • Blackening spice
  • Ancho Chili Pepper seasoning
  • Olive oil for the frying


Combine the first 6 ingredients together and set aside.

Lay the salmon on the cutting board, and cut into 4 Inch long filets.  Generously cover the salmon with the blackening spice (only the meat part).
 Let it sit on the counter to go to room temperature. Put 4 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of a large saute pan and heat it on MEDIUM heat.  This is key.  Do not do hotter.

Once the oil has shrunk and looks to have turned to water, gently grab a filet and put the meat into the pan skin up.  Put up to 4 pieces in the pan, and let it fry for 4 minutes.  DON'T LOOK.  Trust me.  Don't raise the temperature and don't play with the filet.... just let it do it.

Once the timer is up, gently flip the filet on to the skin and fry for another 3 minutes.  If it's a thick piece it may need a few more minutes and vice versa.  If you're unsure, press the spatula into the filet. It should be as soft as the fat part of your not flexed palm.  Remove them from the pan.

Serve fresh topped with avocado and delicious side of warm black beans!



Comments

Popular Posts