Black Bean Salsa


I love black bean salsa. I've never made it before, so this was a first for me. Unfortunately, I have to say I think I did something wrong because it wasn't like other salsas I had. Although I received many compliments, I'm not sure if they were complimenting before or after they tried it. For some reason, when I ate it - I just tasted black beans.
 

If you've been stalking my blog, you may remember when I provided a recipe for black bean soup in slow cooker - I wasn't a fan of that either because of the black bean flavor.
 
 
I love black bean. BUT I love flavor more. I guess I had high expectations for this. It just was lacking kick or anything remotely close to a salsa flavor.
 
 
I'm not giving up on it though. It was pretty easy other than all the cleaning and dicing of tomatoes and jalapenos.
 
 
Other websites were talking about using a can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles(not drained). Now that I'm thinking about it, I think that would have been key - it would have added a nice tomato taste. So next time I think I am going to cut back on 2 fresh tomatoes and then add the can of Rotel instead. But for now, I will share how I made it this time around.
 
 
Recipe adapted from:  here. 

 
  • 2 cans of whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 2 limes
  • 8 roma (plum) tomatoes
  • 4 medium jalapenos
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon salt

Put the 2 cans of black beans in a colander in your sink. Let them drain and then rinse them with cold water. Put the cans of corn on top of the black beans.
Place in large serving bowl.

Wash the tomatoes. Cut all the tomatoes in quarters and then remove the seeds and jelly inside. Dice the tomatoes and place in bowl.


Wash your cilantro. Dice your cilantro. Put the diced cilantro in the bowl. You will need to dice all of the jalapenos. Don't forget to remove the inside (seeds and white parts) of the jalapeno. Put in the bowl.

Dice the red onion and place in bowl.

Sqeeze the juice from both of the limes into the bowl.

Add the salt.

Mix, cover and refrigerate until serving.

Enjoy!


Popular Posts